SECTIONS:

Monday 4 April 2016

The Martian: A Double Review

Have you already seen The Martian? It has become one of my favourite films (and not because I am quite friki or a geek). I love this type of films because they show in an easy way, difficult ideas about technology or how the NASA works... Everybody can understand what is happening, and these films make children ask after new things. You do not need to be a NASA expert to enjoy the film.



I would like to explain you how I felt while I was watching the film, but I do not how to do it. It is just that when I am watching it, I can't stop enjoying every second, and I find very interesting the way they try to survive in Mars, in a very difficult situation, the chemical reactions that they make. To sum up, how they use all their knowledge. I found it difficult, I mean, I find difficult to survive alone in Mars, another planet where no one has lived before and where things are very different: there is no oxygen, no water..., you can't have a shower regularly, and the food is limitated. How can a human survive in these conditions? Well I won't tell you the end of the film, so if you want to know how the film ends, you will have to watch The Martian. This question makes me think about the Universe, about life in another planets, if a human can live alone in Mars, maybe some other creatures are living in other parts of the Universe and we don't know about them yet. 

Although it is a good film, I noticed that not everything was right, there were some 'mistakes' which even made the film more attractive but  eventually a bit less realistic.

How much do you know about Mars? Here is a short test in Spanish about Mars, just try:
 http://www.muyinteresante.es/ciencia/test/
by Eve Chancosa

My dear Eve is right about everything she has said, but there is always a clear line that separates our brains, you will see it (not just because of the fact that she is very very intelligent).

I have watched The Martian twice and I have always felt the same way. I love this film not just because of the chemistry, physics and biology (I love the way they taught us how important it is to know everything in science), apart from that, it is so funny and I think that it is what I really love. The main character, Matt Damonn, is in Mars alone, with a 0,0000009℅ (this percentage is not real, for if the flies) of still living, but it is funny. How can such a tragedy be funny? It let me know how strong a person is when fighting to keep alive. I love it, not only because I am a little bit friki (I swear you it is just a little bit), but because of the feelings, the thoughts and because when I watch these kinds of films I want to do it, I want to go into the space, and because I realise how little we are in the universe, that is the reason why I can't think about us being the only ones who are living here.

You may be interested in this funny, but hard, scinetific test in English. Just click on the picture at your left, print it or send us the answers. You may get a small present if you manage to have them all right.

by Andy Bordón


1 comment:

  1. I had the pleasure to spend a couple of hours together with my beloved students, now in the 4th and 5th years of high school, just to enjoy the film and share ideas about everything which involves science and our own lives. It was a great time for me to see that bunch of brilliant girls and boys gathering for such a purpose at the time we were savouring some delicious microwave-made popcorn and orange fanta. There is one thing we all have in common, which is a kind of passion for science as a way to have fun, as a way to learn what's going on, as a way to find out more and more, as a way to feel and love our lives, our world, the whole Universe. An outsider could think it as something odd or at least difficult to explain. Nevertheless, the explanation is rather simple, we all feel attracted and pulled by the same force, kind of gravity of our own world that makes us somehow stick close together.

    ReplyDelete

LTE: